What is PRTG Network Monitor?
PRTG Network Monitor is advanced server monitoring software which lets you check both basic server uptime and detailed usage statistics on all types of servers, including:- web and application servers- databases- file servers / FTP servers- mail servers and more other servers used in business
Benefits and Insights
Why use PRTG Network Monitor?
Key differentiators & advantages of PRTG Network Monitor
- Monitoring of Standard Traffic Data.
PRTG automatically searches for all interfaces of a device that shed light on inbound and outbound bandwidths, Unicast/Non-Unicast packages, or failures. The system subsequently provides a list of the identified ports, which makes setting up sensors simple.
- SNMP Helper for Monitoring Windows Data.
Windows via SNMP delivers a multitude of monitoring data. Using Paessler's SNMP Helper, lists for easy access to several thousand performance counters on Windows-based machines can be generated. Based on these performance indicators, sensors for monitoring the specific system parameters can be set up with only a click of the mouse.
- Convenient Monitoring of Proprietary Data.
Manufacturers of SNMP capable devices usually deliver access information (OIDs) to the data required for monitoring in the form of Management Information Base (MIB) files. For this purpose, Paessler has developed the MIB Importer that easily converts these files into so-called "OID-libraries" for PRTG. The MIB Importer can be downloaded free of charge. Additionally, a multitude of preconfigured OID libraries have already been built in to PRTG (e.g. Cisco routers, Dell servers, CPU loads, disk usages, printer page counts, environmental monitoring, and many more).
- Direct Creation of a Sensor in Case of Known OID.
If a particular address (OID) of SNMP data is known, this can be manually entered in PRTG, quickly and easily creating a sensor.
- sFlow is an industry standard for monitoring computer networks.
It provides detailed visibility into network usage and network traffic. PRTG Network Monitor offers full support of the sFlow protocol. Switches or routers which support sFlow can be monitored using PRTG's xFlow sensors (which besides sFLow also support Cisco's NetFlow standard). In sFlow enabled devices, network traffic data is pre-aggregated and can then be read and analyzed by PRTG. sFlow monitoring can also be used to monitor internet usage for billing purposes, to diagnose network usage trends, and to identify possible threats to your network.
- Packet sniffing: this allows you to capture network traffic and gives you a level of detail comparable to sFlow, but puts far a far higher load on your server
- PRTG network traffic monitor tracks bandwidth utilization using NetFlow and packet sniffing. This way, you can determine your overall bandwidth usage as well as which protocol, IP address or port is accountable for most bandwidth consumption. Thanks to remote probes, PRTG is not only a NetFlow monitor, but also can be used as a SNMP tool.
Top Competitors Alternatives
These are the products most often compared to PRTG Network Monitor