What is OrientDB?
OrientDB is a 2nd Generation Distributed Graph Database with the flexibility of Documents in one product with an Open Source commercial friendly license (Apache 2 license). First generation Graph Databases lack the features that Big Data demands: multi-master replication, sharding and more flexibility for modern complex use cases.
Benefits and Insights
Why use OrientDB?
Key differentiators & advantages of OrientDB
- OrientDB was engineered from the ground up with performance as a key specification. It’s fast on both read and write operations. On writes, it can store up to 150,000 records per second*. The OrientDB time series module can insert 120,000 records per second*, while keeping the time graph synchronized for real-time analytics.
- Replacing your DBMS, once it no longer meets requirements, can be a huge cost in time and resources. Is your database powerful, scalable and flexible enough to grow with you? Using OrientDB also reduces the need to support multiple products to achieve your goals.
- OrientDB supports a Multi-Master + Sharded architecture, so all the servers are masters. This provides horizontal scalability and reliability.
- OrientDB is written entirely in Java and can run on any platform without configuration and installation. It’s a drop in replacement for the most common existing graph databases in deployment today. The Full Server distribution is about 2MB without the demo database.
- There is absolutely no cost associated with using OrientDB Community Edition. OrientDB is distributed with only one license: Apache 2 Open Source. This is one of the most liberal licenses available, allowing you to use OrientDB FREE for any purpose.
- While most NoSQL DBMSs are used as secondary databases, OrientDB is powerful and flexible enough to be used as an operational DBMS. It doesn’t require a restart or down-time for maintenance and it automatically reuses free space left by deleted records while still online.
- Nothing available on the market comes close to OrientDB in regards to feature offerings, nor has our transparent competitive pricing. It would take combining several different competitive DBMS products to give you the same functionality.
- OrientDB is the first ever multi-model product on the market and is now leading the 2nd generation NoSQL product movement. Most NoSQL products are used to provide scalability to applications sitting on a relational DBMS. Complex 2nd generation NoSQL products like OrientDB are the future: providing more functionality and flexibility, while being powerful enough to replace your operational DBMS.
- Which is more likely to have better quality? A DBMS created and tested by a handful of developers or by 1000’s of developers? When code is public and transparent, everyone can scrutinize, test, report and resolve issues. Things move faster compared to the proprietary world.***
- OrientDB is privately funded and the first graph database ever to be listed on Gartner’s Operational DBMS Magic Quadrant in 2013.