What is OpenShift Online?
OpenShift is Red Hat's free, auto-scaling Platform as a Service (PaaS) for applications. As an application platform in the cloud, OpenShift manages the stack so you can focus on your code.OpenShift takes care of all the infrastructure, middleware, and management and allows the developer to focus on what they do best: designing and coding applications.
Benefits and Insights
Why use OpenShift Online?
Key differentiators & advantages of OpenShift Online
- Code anything - OpenShift takes a No-Lock-In approach to PaaS by providing built-in support for Node.js, Ruby, Python, PHP, Perl, and Java (the standard in today's Enterprise). In addition, OpenShift is extensible with a customizable cartridge functionality that allows enterprising developers to add any other language they wish. We've seen everything from Clojure to Cobol running on OpenShift.
- Blow the doors off your expectations - OpenShift provides both automatic and manual scaling of the resources that are supporting your application such that, as usage increases, performance will not suffer. This is one of the sweet benefits of OpenShift PaaS… you don't need to worry about common infrastructure or middleware issues like administration, tuning, or scaling. OpenShift handles this for you.
- Under the Hood - OpenShift by Red Hat is built on open-source technologies (we are one of the world's leading open source companies, after all). A decade of enhancements in these technologies contributed by the open source community has resulted in a set of very robust technology components that provide the inner-workings of the OpenShift PaaS.
- Easy-peasy - OpenShift is designed to provide one thing for Developers: Ease of Use without Worries. OpenShift's mission is to make your job easier by taking care of all the messy IT aspects of app development and allowing you to focus on your job: Coding your Application and satisfying your customers.
- Pricing - A free Developer Preview version of OpenShift has been available for the past year. Based on requests from users for expanded capability, we are planning to expand the OpenShift offering to provide users increased capacity, functionality and support.