What is IBM DB2?
DB2 database software offers industry leading performance, scale, and reliability on your choice of platform from Linux, Unix and Windows to z/OS.
Benefits and Insights
Why use IBM DB2?
Key differentiators & advantages of IBM DB2
- DB2 includes numerous autonomic features, such as the Self-Tuning Memory Manager, that free IT staff from many administration tasks. As a result, IT staff can spend less time administering the system and more time focusing on other activities that benefit the business.
- DB2 can dramatically reduce that cost with industry leading data compression technologies that compress tables, indexes, archive logs, temporary space, LOBs, XML, and back-up data.
- DB2 has dominated key performance benchmarks over the years, including both On-Line Transaction Processing (OLTP) and On-Line Analytical Processing (OLAP) benchmarks. This world class performance means that businesses can do more work with their existing hardware, thereby avoiding or delaying costly server upgrades.
- DB2 pureScale uses a cluster-based, shared-disk architecture to offer easy scalability and high availability. DB2 pureScale avoids many of the drawbacks of cluster solutions from other vendors, including the “cluster overhead” that limits their ability to scale beyond a few nodes.
- DB2 offers a comprehensive suite of security features that effectively and decisively minimize this threat, including access control for rows, columns and IT staff roles.
- DB2 can minimize the downtime associated with many planned activities and unplanned events by either eliminating the downtime completely or reducing it's duration to a few seconds.- With DB2, IBM has significantly reduced reduce the risk and cost associated with database migration. Applications built to run on comparable Oracle databases require few or no code changes to run on DB2, which make data server consolidation much easier and further reduce operational costs.
- With the native XML data support provided by DB2, you can enjoy breakthrough performance, minimize your data storage requirements, and benefit from IT staff productivity enhancements.- Industry regulations and competitive pressures are prompting IT managers to maintain more data for longer periods of time and to provide better ways for business users to analyze past, current, and future events. To help organizations achieve these goals, IBM has built bi-temporal capabilities directly into the database.
- DB2 offers multiple query languages, including SQL, XQuery, SPARQL. DB2 even supports certain other vendor’s flavors of SQL, making it easy for developers to work with DB2. DB2 also supports APIs like JDBC, ODBC and .NET. In addition, developer-friendly features like Time Travel Query make it easy to take advantages of the native bi-temporal features in DB2.
- Good database tools make expensive DBA, Application Developer, and other human resources more productive. - DB2 lets businesses enjoy these savings with flexible licensing terms that allow all aspects of DB2 to be deployed in a virtualized environment.