What is Workday HCM?
Industry Specialties: Serves all industries
Workday HCM is a SaaS solution that unifies all aspects of managing the employee lifecycle in a single system. The suite of modules allows organizations to operate globally, run payroll, administer benefits, manage talent and facilitate learning, among other things.
While designed for medium and large enterprises, the platform can support the needs of smaller businesses as well. A business process framework provides control for all internal processes. The system is also equipped with audit tools and built-in security capabilities, and it offers mobile apps for flexible access.
Product Screenshots and Videos
Benefits and Insights
Why use Workday HCM?
Key differentiators & advantages of Workday HCM
- Deep Data Insights: Equipped with reporting and analytics tools, Workday HCM provides a complete view of critical KPIs to inform better decisions. It allows you to become familiar with your workforce, promote employee growth, foster diversity and prepare for the future. Workday’s Prism Analytics and Data-as-a-Service applications provide graphs, charts, benchmarking reports and more.
- Fast, Enhanced Recruiting: You can streamline and speed up the recruiting process with collaboration tools, task reminders and calendar syncing. A referral leaderboard encourages employees to refer other qualified candidates.
- Easy Expense Reporting: Mobile receipt scanning and approval workflows simplify the expensing process for employees and managers. You can also set spending controls and give employees the ability to start reports. With data analytics tools, you can spot trends and gain insight into expenses throughout your company.
- Efficient Absence Management: This feature uses a smart calendar for managing time off. It also provides tracking for different types of absences and the ability to analyze carryover.
- Simplified Time Management: Time tracking and approval is available on any device, and alerts surface items that need attention. The system automates rules and calculations to cut down on manual tasks and the risk of errors.
- Improved Hiring Decisions: Dashboards present all your talent acquisition data in one place for easy viewing, and machine learning suggests areas of improvement. You can also compare your company to peers via benchmarking and use compensation comparisons to create effective offers.
Workday HCM is deployed by thousands of customers around the world and is suitable for any industry, ranging from retail and financial services to technology and the nonprofit space. The solution serves dozens of Fortune 500 companies. Its client list includes Amazon, Target, Thomson Reuters, Patagonia, Bank of America, Rolls Royce and Adobe.
- Payroll: Workday HCM offers payroll capabilities for the U.S., U.K., France and Canada. All transactions compile in the payroll module. It includes a calculation engine, which enables running reports and calculations for groups and individuals at any time. A compliance dashboard shows information about upcoming changes as well as the areas of greatest impact within your organization.
- Benefits Administration: The software supports a variety of plans, such as health, flex, wellness and retirement. Tools such as the ACA dashboard ensure proper coverage as well as aid managing forms and regulatory changes. The system supports integration with hundreds of providers.
- Talent Management: This feature includes onboarding and career and development planning components. New hires can access messages, videos and more from a single dashboard, and there’s also support for international and internal transfers. Pulse surveys and a skills cloud provide insight into your workforce. Additionally, you can set goals, perform reviews, manage succession plans, aid employee career development and pinpoint retention risks.
- Learning Management System: Equipped with LMS capabilities, this module helps your organization deliver and track a variety of training materials. Elements include scoring, quizzes, learning campaigns, video, learning paths and more. You can also offer courses to external groups. For extended training, the Workday Content Cloud grants access to third-party content directly from Workday HCM.
- Compensation Management: With this feature, you can build customized compensation packages for global use by choosing from over a dozen compensation plan types. It supports international currencies and allowance plans based on local limits. The toolset includes a grid worksheet, events coordination for things like new hires and promotions, pay-range segments, tracking of pay equity, configurable statements, and unified data from other Workday HCM modules such as payroll and benefits.
- Workforce Planning: The Workday Adaptive Insights Business Planning Cloud provides tools to create models, compare what-if scenarios and build hiring strategies. It also facilitates collaboration along with evaluation of metrics like costs and workforce breakdown. The platform provides review and approval workflows and integrates data from other organizational systems.
- Global Compliance: The solution’s flexibility enables you to configure the pre-built frameworks based on your company’s needs. It contains support for 240 countries, 1,500+ reports, 170 absence plans, geographic controls such as privacy preferences and date formats, and over 3,000 localized data fields. You can automatically translate into over 30 languages, receive free legal support across 58 jurisdictions and control all aspects of the setup.
- Workday Marketplace: You can extend the capabilities of Workday HCM by connecting it with third-party integrations for case management, hiring, training and other processes. Partner solutions include LinkedIn Learning, Salesforce Worker and Salesforce Chatter, Saba, HireRight Background Check, and Humanity Employee Shift Scheduling.
- Workday HCM is a SaaS-based product with no offline capabilities. This may impede customers’ ability to access data when there’s poor internet connectivity
- Private cloud HR software deployments aren’t supported
- Lacks CRM capability. However, it does offer CRM integration with Salesforce
- Limited scope for customization
Workday HCM Suite Support
With support teams in the U.S., U.K. and Australia, Workday provides support 24/7, every day of the year. All customer support takes place in the Customer Care Portal. Any fixes that occur are applied to the entire platform, and since each customer uses the same version of Workday HCM, this resolves the problem for everyone.
mail_outlineEmail: No support email is listed. Users can visit the Workday community for a DIY approach. It contains information on updates, fixes to issues and new updates, as well as a place to discuss any problems with other customers and partners.
phonePhone: Workday does provide the option to work through submitted cases via phone.
schoolTraining: Workday provides in-person, on-demand, virtual and independent learning options. The course catalog is available when logged in to an account. There are also two training kits. The Adoption Kit delivers just-in-time materials that cover common user tasks via webinars, step-by-step instructions, videos and more. The Touchpoints Kit contains information about the entire Workday application suite to facilitate better implementations no matter which products an organization deploys. Lastly, Workday offers an accreditation program for in-depth training.
local_offerTickets: Submitting tickets happens within the Customer Care Portal. Users can choose severity level and track progress until the issue is resolved. Level 1 cases receive escalation for a response within an hour.
Cost of Ownership for Workday HCM
|Data Migration Cost/Change Management/Upfront Switching Cost|
Top Competitors Alternatives
These are the products most often compared to Workday HCM