Kronos offers workforce management and HCM capabilities through our Kronos Workforce Ready® solution and workforce management tools and services through our Workforce Dimensions™ solution. Kronos Workforce Ready provides a single unified platform for end-to-end HCM with recruiting, onboarding, core HR, training and development, benefits, performance management, compensation, succession planning, time and attendance, scheduling, labor activities, absence management, payroll, and labor analytics. Workforce Dimensions leverages the latest smart technologies to help organizations optimize their workforce for stronger business outcomes. Powered by the industry-first Kronos® D5 platform in the Google public cloud, Workforce Dimensions provides a robust API and integration framework, a flexible domain model, artificial intelligence, in-memory computing, and more.
BambooHR is the number one HR software for small and medium sized businesses. BambooHR’s cloud-based system has beautifully designed, intuitive features including an applicant tracking system (ATS), onboarding with electronic signatures, automated time-off tracking, and innovative performance management. This gives HR managers more time for meaningful work. Executives get accurate, timely reports, and employees can self-service their time-off using a convenient mobile app. Clients include many industry leaders like Stance, Soundcloud, and FanDuel among thousands of others in over 80 countries worldwide. Visit bamboohr.com or give us a call to watch a free demo and start a free trial today.
As a high-growth SMB, you have many of the same HR issues as your enterprise-sized counterparts. You must have an appropriately skilled and shrewdly deployed workforce to grow and compete effectively. The right people in the right jobs can make a huge difference for your company and your brand. Rapid growth can add additional pressure. Your employees have many options in advancing their careers ? many of them outside your four walls. You will have to fight to keep the best and the brightest. Therefore, you need a flexible and agile cloud-based human resources (HR) solution that allows you to streamline departments and processes, while ensuring that your talent structure fits any growth or business strategy.
Ultimate Software’s cloud-based UltiPro helps simplify and improve work experiences for employees at every level. Organizations can easily manage global people data and processes with UltiPro and ensure their people feel engaged and productive from day one. With UltiPro, you can deliver personalized recruiting and onboarding experiences, guide employees through important benefits choices, simplify complex payroll computations, efficiently manage time and attendance needs, support continuous performance management and development, and build proactive succession plans for the future. Most importantly, UltiPro’s solutions are supported by powerful business intelligence and reporting to help you drive smarter, people-focused business results.
iSolved is an industry-leading human capital management technology that brings together the key workforce functions in one robust, easy-to-use platform. Payroll, HR, time and attendance, onboarding, ACA compliance, and benefits enrollment are all delivered from one solution, in the cloud, specifically built for the small-to-midsized employer.
Vibe HCM is cloud-based employee software designed with engagement at the core. Our focus is on easy to use, highly personalized technology that offers more than basic transaction automation. Vibe HCM is designed to recruit, manage, pay, connect and inspire employees. We consider it a compliment when people say our technology doesn't look like a typical HR system.
SyncHR’s patented, enterprise-class technology is redefining and simplifying HCM for mid-market organizations. It provides critical advantages not found in traditional systems by fully automating HR, benefits, and payroll processes, improving information accessibility and transparency across an organization, and centralizing data to ensure accuracy and consistency in real-time. Become the master of your employee data with a trusted single core system of record.
PeopleStrategy eHCM® is an end-to-end Human Capital Management (HCM) solution featuring integrated Talent Acquisition, HR, Payroll, Benefits Administration, Workforce Management, Performance and Reporting, providing the features and functionality you need to attract, manage, engage and retain your talent efficiently and effectively.
Newton is the brainchild of recruiting professionals who launched the product after having run hundreds of high-performance recruiting programs across the US. Newton is easy-to-use, easy-to-implement, and affordable for any size of company regardless of how fast they were growing.Newton offers features such as fully branded careers pages, email templates, online applications, offer approvals and letters, recruiting analytics, employee referrals, and background checks. The solution enables recruiters to post job applications in English and Spanish. Users can also confirm, schedule or reschedule interview by checking the availability of the team and the candidate.Newton ensures compliance with AA, EEO and OFCCP guidelines and continually updates its features and reports as guidelines change with legislation. The reporting is built-in with nearly nothing to configure.Newton has native integrations with many third-party providers and has an open API toallow users to integrate the platform with their favorite third-party applications. Newton has everything you need to streamline and organize your entire recruiting process. Each customer receives their own personal customer success rep because we know how important adoption is.Training is free and many of our clients are using Newton within 2 weeks of their implementation.
CareerPlug’s ATS empowers users – from career recruiters to entrepreneurs – to consistently make better hiring decisions. CareerPlug clients easily attract, evaluate, select, and onboard the best talent in their industries through the use of job posting distribution, prescreening questions, candidate assessments, interview scheduling, email communication, custom evaluation guides, and paperless onboarding. By focusing on ease-of-use and mobile-friendliness, CareerPlug provides a great experience for both hiring managers and applicants.
Namely is the HR, Payroll, and Benefits platform your employees will love. Finally, there’s HR software that employees actually use—built to fit your company culture. Manage all of your HR data in one place, with personalized service to help your company get better, faster. Namely is used by some of the world’s most innovative and exciting companies in media, technology, commerce, and more.
Halogen Software offers an organically built cloud-based talent management suite — Halogen TalentSpace™ — that reinforces and drives higher employee performance across all talent programs — whether that is performance management, learning and development, succession and leadership, compensation or recruiting. The suite of applications are designed from the ground up to work together to drive performance, offering a consistent and user-friendly interface for every user. Halogen offers industry-specific solutions to address the unique requirements and challenges of companies in healthcare, professional services, manufacturing, the public sector and more.
In the E-learning market since 2005, Docebo Learning Management System has been selected and used by more than 28.000 organizations worldwide. Docebo is an E-Learning Software “As a service”, enabling organizations of all sizes to plan, deliver and certify online and classroom training activities. The main products (Docebo SaaS and Docebo Premium) are designed for both SMBs (Small and Medium businesses), Enterprise and Non-Corporate customers (K12, Online Universities, Government agencies, Non-Profit organizations).
Performance Culture, Inc. is a web-based performance management platform that helps managers and employees improve performance through continuous coaching, timely feedback and meaningful recognition. The platform is designed to align company goals with employee expectations, coach employees on both performance and key behaviors, and manage team members using the performance values matrix. Performance Management is a crucial component in developing a culture that fosters team chemistry and keeps employees engaged and inspired. Performance Culture uses the Performance-Values Matrix to help you unlock the full potential of your team. The software includes Performance Reviews, Check-Ins, Coaching Templates, Employee Engagement Surveys, 360 Degree Feedback, Learning Management System and exclusive Coaching Videos.Performance Management is a crucial component in developing a culture that fosters team chemistry and keeps employees engaged and inspired. Performance Culture uses the Performance-Values Matrix to help you unlock the full potential of your team. The software includes Performance Reviews, Check-Ins, Coaching Templates, Employee Engagement Surveys, 360 Degree Feedback, Learning Management System and exclusive Coaching Videos.
With Collage, your employee benefits are seamlessly integrated with our free, cloud-based HR platform.Your people are the most valuable asset in your business.Collage allows you to provide the best employee experience while significantly reducing the work and risk involved with employing people in your business.Visit: www.collage.co
The BirdDogHR Talent Management System is designed to centralize HR processes to manage your workforce from start to finish. With integrated modules for each stage of the employee lifecycle, the easy-to-use and mobile-friendly software helps more than 1000 companies nationwide attract and hire top talent, onboard and train employees efficiently, improve workforce productivity, reduce organizational risk and meet compliance requirements.
Redefining the standard for cutting edge technology and innovation, JobDiva is the leading global Applicant Tracking System and front-to-back Talent Management solution, serving more than 20,000 global staffing professionals who support the Fortune 500. A powerful cloud solution, JobDiva combines a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) application, synchronization with all major job boards and VMS providers, BI analytics, automated 24/7 resume aggregation, a Mobile App and the largest resume database in the world to deliver staffing solutions with unmatched speed and precision.
Infor CloudSuite™ HCM is a powerful set of cloud-based human capital management solutions built to adapt to your organization’s evolving business strategy. This solution replaces complex processes, workflows, and systems with sophisticated, yet intuitive technology. And that gives your HR professionals the opportunity to deliver streamlined processes and remarkable experiences to the workforce, creating significant value across the organization.
Ascentis HRIS/HRMS is a wizard-driven, intuitive HR software solution for mid-market companies of all industries. When managing employee data, Ascentis HR automates complex business transactions, eliminates manual processes, and reduces systemic errors.
FinancialForce Human Capital Management (HCM) gives you the power to manage your entire workforce with one, comprehensive, cloud solution. The unique value of this solution is the power of the Salesforce platform which delivers native collaboration, global, social and mobile capabilities to your workforce and allows you to better communicate and engage. Now you can empower and retain your workforce while delivering valuable dashboards and reporting options to your business managers.
Oracle HCM Cloud is a complete HR application suite that helps organizations become more strategic and agile with a best-in-class workforce experience. It integrates HR best practices and technology to provide an engaging, informative, and adaptive HR experience throughout the entire employee lifecycle. Oracle HCM Cloud allows organizations to find, develop and retain the best talent, enable collaboration, deliver deep workforce insights, and increase operational efficiency.
Epicor HCM software solution offers deep functionality designed by HR industry professionals that is built on a modern, agile service-oriented architecture platform. Epicor HCM offers flexible deployment options including cloud subscription, hosting, and on-premise options. Also included is a suite of integration tools to allow your data to exist where you choose with the vendor of your choice.
Cornerstone Growth Edition simplifies performance reviews and eLearning with a mobile-friendly, easily-configurable interface that can be up and running in just a few hours. With Cornerstone Growth Edition, performance reviews are simple and intuitive. Our solution not only automates employee performance reviews, it gives managers practical tips and guidance to develop their employees and make smarter business decisions.
PeopleFluent offers the most comprehensive Talent Acquisition software solution for global enterprise companies. PeopleFluent Recruiting helps your recruiting team to be faster and more productive every day. Our award winning solution combines applicant tracking, process automation, full mobile functionality, deep sourcing capabilities and a robust candidate experience. PeopleFluent extends its commitment to a collaborative hiring process to include the Mirror™ experience across our Recruiting and Onboarding solutions.
PeopleFluent’s Performance Management allows you to align your workforce to corporate objectives, evaluate individual performance and measure organizational results. This complete performance management system provides easy-to-use yet highly effective tools such as goal management, performance appraisals, competency and skill assessment, talent profiles, development activities, mobile performance management, anytime-anywhere feedback, calibration grids, reporting and analytics, and multi-rater / 360 review functionality. With PeopleFluent’s Performance Management solution, you can improve business results, develop employees and retain key staff by aligning, establishing and measuring employee performance on a continuous basis.PeopleFluent also provides PeopleFluent Compensation. PeopleFluent Compensation provides a comprehensive, full cycle compensation solution that addresses Total Rewards, and when combined with PeopleFluent Performance, pay for performance. PeopleFluent Compensation enables full visibility through reporting, analytics, budget planning and pay and compensation statements.
From single-user firms to multi-branch, multi-national operations, PCRecruiter offers the critical functionality to model the key records: Names, Jobs, Groups, and the events that connect them together for the core processes of marketing, assessing, recruiting, presenting, monitoring, and re-use of work product. With a Microsoft technology orientation (but use of best of breed open systems as well), PCRecruiter slots well into almost any technical environment and technology experience level.
mindSCOPE’s Staffing and Recruiting Software, CURA, offers a multitude of exciting and useful features and integrations to quicken and simplify the recruiting process. CURA’s sophisticated level of flexibility allows users to customize the applicant tracking system to function seamlessly across all industries regardless of the type of placement being done.
Reflexis Workforce Manager generates accurate labor budgets, forecasts, schedules, and reports, all while factoring in variables such as labor law compliance, employee skills and preferences, customer traffic patterns, and store workloads.With Reflexis Workforce Manager, retailers can mitigate the risk associated with labor scheduling and create real-time visibility into customer traffic patterns. By rapidly generating labor schedules and decreasing the time that store managers have to spend in front of a computer, Workforce Manager gives them that time back to train store associates and provide customers with a more positive and consistent experience.Popular add-ons include:Mobility - Allows the use of smartphones and tablets with Reflexis solutions Advanced Analytics and Reporting - Simplifies the process of analyzing trends and exceptions in store data to gain insight into current business practices
PeopleGuru develops and supports Human Capital Management software for mid-market organizations. Our Gurus have brought together their industry expertise to develop a true single HCM application for complete employee lifecycle management.PeopleGuru HCM is supported by a team of Gurus who are passionate about helping our clients achieve their desired business outcomes. Our focus is to ensure our clients always have the tools they need to deliver on their strategic HR objectives, mitigate compliance risk, drive efficiencies in the business, and engage their people.
Since 2004, ClearCompany has empowered thousands of companies to attract, screen, and hire better talent, then use strategic insights to keep their recruiting competitive. Simplify repetitive tasks with their automated system, and use free, expertly developed competencies to hire the right people. From passive candidate sourcing with 160 million talent profiles, to automated posting, screening, grading and interview scheduling, to easily building talent pools, EEO/OFCCP compliance reporting and much more, ClearCompany gives you everything you need to find, hire, retain and engage A-players. While their Applicant Tracking System is incredibly powerful on its own, the complete ClearCompany Talent Management Platform also includes solutions for new hire onboarding, performance management and goal alignment; allowing you to seamlessly find, hire, onboard, review, engage and retain top performers. ClearCompany is also highly rated for customer support, providing all clients both dedicated Implementation and Relationship Manager as well as unlimited ongoing training, support and consulting services.
HR Software Buyer Guide
By Jeremy Ames of Hive Tech HR
Disclaimer: The author did not create nor is he responsible for the content of the leaderboard, nor does he explicitly endorse the ranking order.
The beauty of the Eiffel Tower can be seen high above the Paris streets, especially at night when illuminated by sparkling lights. Yet, consider for a moment the part of the Tower that has not only the largest square footage, but also the most important role in the overall structure. The base is just like your Human Resource Management or Software; the heights you might reach as an organization (and HR department) and the amount your employees and managers will sparkle depends on this vital part of your organization’s overall technology stack.
With that in mind, whether you’re looking for your first Human Resource Management System (HRMS) or replacing an existing HRIS, there’s no downplaying the importance of the process upon which you’re about to embark. After all, this is the system that’s going to track your most important assets, your employees, and your organization is counting on you to get it right. The points of failure are numerous and dangerous. Whether an employee receives benefits and gets paid is likely riding on this. Many a job has been lost by those who chose the wrong software, and there is plenty of variability between the great and the mediocre products in this category. If you’re still not comfortable after reading this, seek expert help. So let’s get going on guiding you towards making a decision that will provide the base for your organization’s success.
Define Your Functionality Groups
Similar to the search for Talent Management software, there are many variations of what’s included in HR Management Software. That’s why your first job is to define what matters to you most. In the Top 100 HR Software Requirements built by my company, Hive Tech HR, we define 10 possible groups and 10 of the most important requirements for each. Here are the groups, noted with some inherent scope decisions.
- Talent Acquisition – commonly referred to as “Applicant Tracking” or “Recruiting” this is the first stop in the candidate/employee lifecycle. Right off the bat, we find scope decision #1, as many companies will separate this out from an overall HR Management System. However, since plenty of the systems you might be looking at include the functionality, it should be a consideration. So much goes into that decision itself – whether you are enjoying the current talent acquisition system you’re currently using, whether you have specific needs that might not be met by a new system and on the flip side whether you see extreme benefit in a shared database between candidate and employee that some systems offer.
- Onboarding – that moment from offer letter to employment day 1 has always been mission critical to the overall success of an employee. Now, we layer onto that the extreme mobility of employees from job to job, remote workers and so many other risks of alienating your new hire, the timeline even well beyond Day 1 becomes mission critical. Therefore, the software that performs employee onboarding is like the sandpaper in your workshop, making the employee transition as smooth as possible. This is also scope decision #2, as there are plenty of separate onboarding products like ClickBoarding, HR Onboard and others that perform the function admirably with sufficient integrations.
- Core Human Resources – OK, breath for a moment as there is no variability here…all systems in this category will assist with employee management: from hire to termination. How well they do it, and how much control you have over the very important workflows and notifications that happen as part of that process do vary, and therefore getting granular in this grouping is vital. Note that we usually look at employee self-service portals as a sub-group within Core HR.
- Employee Engagement - get feedback from employees, recognize achievements, and reward positive results. This component is usually implemented as an extra tool or full replacement for traditional performance reviews.
- Benefits Management – scope decision #3 is usually the easiest for our clients. Some have outsourced their benefits administration and technology, so this is immediately eliminated. Conversely, there’s still plenty of merit to using this process to bring your employee benefits under one HR technology roof. How well these systems empower employee enrollment, and handle global benefits if that matters to you, means that if you decide you need a benefits management system, make sure you’re asking the right questions. That first time an employee gives birth, you want the whole process to run seamlessly, and technology is the vehicle. One suggestion is to use this time to really look closely at how you manage your benefits. Maybe you’ll decide you want to go a different route, like using other providers like Benefit Focus and Maestro Health.
- Performance Management – we’ve reached an area of huge variability between both how different companies perform functions as well as how different software vendors deliver. Back to the Eiffel Tower, performance management literally is part of the soaring of the employees…so you need to look closely at whether you want performance management to be a part of your base system (scope decision #4). Think high level about where you are today (maybe an annual performance review) and where you might be heading (maybe more ongoing feedback and objective management), and how the market supports either or both.
- Learning Management – much of what was said for Performance is also true of Learning Management. Many vendors actual help your scope decision #5 by not even including Learning in their suite. Still further, the difference between tracking and delivering training is growing, so how much you need in this group and what vendors deliver might vary.
- Other Talent Management Systems – the two groups cited above (Performance and Learning) often fall within the Talent Management suite, as evidenced by my other Buyer’s Guide. However, when looking for an overall HR suite, to separate them out and instead look at all the ancillary functions, like employee development and succession planning. Keeping them in their own group means that vendors are less likely to skirt around them in the RFX process.
- Compensation Management – the workflows associated with rewarding your employees are critical to business, so how well the systems you evaluate handle that functionality should be looked at in detail. Again you’ll find scope decision #6 which is frequently determined by the complexity of your compensation components and authorization process versus what’s available.
- Absence Management, Time and Attendance and Payroll – this is a perfect example of a group that merits sub-groups. When you go through scope decision #7, don’t use preconceived notions about whether you’re looking for these functions or not. The fear of replacing your payroll system can often be alleviated when you realize both the cost savings and gains of rolling this system into your core HR system. One thing to include when you talk about this group is whether you might want to use this HR Management system for financials as well, as some vendors do both. However, the evaluation itself should be its own “category” in SelectHub terms.
Last, but Not Least, Group #10
Much of the buying decisions you’re making above affect function: group #10 is reserved for key aspects of the vendor and the product. It’s also the group in SelectHub that should get the most built out when you proceed to the next step. It’s worth calling out some of the subgroups to give you an idea of what we’re talking about. It’s no coincidence that many of these topics constituted an entire article when I wrote this 7 article series for TechTarget.
- Implementation – how well, how fast, how much and who?
- Training – how embedded in the product, how free?
- Size – how huge is this vendor, how tiny?
- Cloud vs. On Premise - how would you like your solution deployed?
- Cost – how well aligned with your budget, how much of a stretch?
- Vertical-specific – how well do they serve, as an example, healthcare companies like yours?
- Support – how dedicated, vouched for by current clients?
- Global – how ready is the vendor, how ready is the product?
- Integration-ready – how many pre-built, how much pain to create net-new?
- Mobile – how much of the product can be performed on a mobile device
- Intuitive – related to vendor training above, how soon until your employees are using, and loving the software?
- Reports and analytics – can meet your organization’s needs?
What has been included above is a starting point… for example that last bullet point warrants a lot of attention since it largely will impact your ability to reach new heights. Mobile capabilities may hold even greater importance for your contingent workforce. There will be other things that matter to you about the vendor/product, maybe some of which speak to a deficiency you’ve previously experienced. Include them in the evaluation!
Now Move Onto Vendors…Cautiously
Like Talent Management solutions, every vendor in HR software solution space has arrived in present day with their own evolution…and now you’re subjected to buying from dozens of company evolutions. Here are a couple examples of vendors with prominent places on the SelectHub leaderboard:
- Ultimate Software has its roots in payroll, but has built a robust HR suite since that time, and added essentially the entire list of functionality groups described above
- Workday, from its inception, was meant as an overall HCM suite with both payroll and finance capabilities. Certain functions like Talent Acquisition (2014) and Learning (2016) were added later
- Fairsail, if a global system matters to you, is an example of one to look at as far as its geographic evolution, since it started in the UK and expanding into countries like the US
There are literally dozens of products in the HR software market you should consider after you’ve compiled your groups. Talking to somebody who knows what’s out there can greatly accelerate this part of the process. After all, evaluating 30 products isn’t really practical and will extend your search timeline and associated search budget.
Take a Timeout and Reconsider Square Footage of Your Base
You spent anywhere between 2 weeks and 2 months getting to this point. Take a timeout and consider what you’ve learned about yourself and what the market offers. Are you finding that you might actually be looking for the Washington Monument, with a narrower base relative to the rest of your stack? Get specific at this point…eliminate groups if possible. However, don’t delete them, just give them zero weighting, in case you add them back later.
HR 1.0 Vs. 2.0
Taking you back to my Talent Management guide, the concept BetterWorks CEO Kris Duggan described applies to Human Capital Management as well. He considers his company part of “HR 2.0.” To me, 2.0 speaks to simplicity, user experience and a new wave of integration capabilities.
Adding one more (which I’m influencing), we have to start seriously looking at capabilities in Artificial Intelligence. Even if that starts with chat bots, they’re coming faster than you might realize and how a vendor is poised to deliver might mean something to your search.
So, now you know the scope the areas of focus and you have a sense of the market. Time to get specific. That means getting to the requirement level in SelectHub. Here are some examples from the Core HR group. The system should:
Upon job offer acceptance, support the transition from "Applicant" to "employee" and automatically send out workflow notifications to internal functions.
When rehiring a previously employed employee, allow the ability to reinstate the previously active employee record. Present employees in the form of an organizational chart, which should be printable and exportable.
Now Evaluate the Products…and Vendors
Take that initial list of products and eliminate some based on your additional requirements buildout. Now comes the fun part of seeing system capabilities, but it will also might be the shocking moment when you see the variability of what’s out there. Old, new, wide, narrows…the HR Management Software market is all over the map due to the different buyers it serves, as well as the individual vendor’s evolution.
Things are also moving at a faster pace these days as there was some stagnancy in innovation and companies are working hard to both catch up and surpass the competition.
Remember that our 10th group should get as much or more attention in the buying process. Don’t take “oh yeah, we can handle that integration” at face value. Is the integration built? Is it an API or a file transfer? If you don’t have it, are the ones we can’t live without possible and how much will they cost me?
Once you’ve gone through and rated your products using SelectHub’s scorecards, return to your overall technology roadmap. If the vendor you really like in most areas doesn’t do talent acquisition, maybe you stick with iCIMS or Taleo? How would doing that affect your overall scoring of the vendors?
Once you’ve done all your due diligence, just as in all other selection projects it’s time to make your choice. Don’t suffer from analysis paralysis. Trust the process you followed, and do as much as possible to take your subjective gut feelings out of the mix…unless you’re truly talking about a tie.
There’s no sugar-coating it…HR Management systems are really tough purchases. Scope variability on both your end and the vendor’s end are at the heart of it, but there are so many more important factors that can make or break you. You might need some help along the way, and don’t be afraid to ask for it – it might shortcut the process and get you to the best decision. Either way, though, the good news is that by following this guide you’ll be better positioned to build your own sparkling Tower.