What is Tableau Online?
Industry Specialties: Serves all industries from non-profits to global enterprises
Tableau Online’s business intelligence tools specialize in advanced data visualizations that explore and analyze data from a range of sources. It queries relational databases, cloud databases, online analytical processing (OLAP) cubes and spreadsheets in order to generate a range of visualization types. Using VizQL query language, Tableau Online translates drag-and-drop actions by users into data queries which are then expressed visually.
It can also extract, store and retrieve data from an in-memory engine. Users of Tableau Online can create and share dashboards that depict reports, patterns and density of data for efficient dissemination of information. Tableau Online blends various sources of raw, relational and semi-structured data sources in real time for up-to-the-minute insights.
Benefits and Insights
Key differentiators & advantages of Tableau Online
- Powerful Visualization Capabilities: Tableau Online’s data visualization quality is world-renowned. It converts unstructured data into comprehensive logical results, then displays them in fully functional, interactive and appealing dashboards.
- High Performance: Apart from Tableau Online’s high visualization functionality, its overall performance is highly rated by users as robust and reliable.
- Multiple Data Source Connections and Impressive integration: The software supports establishing connections with many data sources, such as HADOOP, SAP which improves data analytics quality.
- Mobile-Friendly: Tableau Online offers a mobile application which is available for both IOS and Android. This adds immense freedom and mobility to Tableau Online users. The mobile app supports full functionality that a Desktop and Online versions have.
- Support: The products customer support and technical support is robust. In addition to a thriving insight community and forums, Tableau Online offers detailed instructions for submitting tickets and accessing training.
Tableau Online is a very versatile collection of software solutions used by a wide range of industries. These include software, healthcare, financial services, staffing and recruiting, retail, higher education and many more. The top countries for Tableau Online use are the United States, France, the UK, Canada, India and Australia.
- Multiple Data Source Connections/Integrations: Tableau Online allows business users to interact with a variety of relational, semi-structured and raw data sources data sources by using an extensive set of data connectors with both in-memory and direct-query access.
- Maps and Geographic Data Analysis: Tableau Online has built-in geographic capabilities to analyze data geographically by plotting it on a map. Users can set preferences to automatically scale plotted points to correlate with metrics (for example, number of sales). To drill deeper into data, users can connect Google maps to this feature in order to get images of locations or exact positions of data points.
- Natural Language Interaction: Tableau Online offers an “Ask Data feature” that lets you use natural language to ask questions and instantly get a response in the form of data visualization.Natural query language interfaces make it possible for people without coding experience to easily submit queries and interact with data.
- Recommended Visualization: Tableau Online’s “Show Me” feature offers recommended visualization types. It starts with a palette of all available visualization options, then narrows the selection of available visualization types based on the data you’re exploring. Then it highlights the recommended approach based on the data selected for analysis.
- Smart Table Join and Source Recommendation: Tableau Online suggests tables, joins and sources based on data connection patterns and user behaviors. It determines this by analyzing variables such as individual, group, role, permissions and more.
Some of the product limitations include:
- Tableau Server does not support data encryption
- Does not provide multi-location support
- The solution is not user-friendly, especially the report-builder
- Does not allow users to share datasets, and requires a separate subscription package
- Requires IT support for integrations and other high-end tasks. Users cannot do this using tutorials or self-help videos on their own
Tableau Online Suite Support
Access to Tableau’s standard support package is included in all subscriptions and is available for the duration of that subscription. If you’re looking for a little more, Tableau also offers extended and premium support programs that offer accelerated response times and options.
mail_outlineEmail: Only license support queries are processed through email and accessed through the customer portal. Users do not typically email Tableau directly, but submit a web form or customer portal request. See more below.
phonePhone: Live phone support is only offered to premium support package subscribers. It can be accessed 24/7 for both priority 1 and priority 2 issues as defined in Tableau’s technical support guidelines.
schoolTraining: Tableau offers a library of free training videos available to subscribers from their website. They cover everything from the very basics to advanced analytics manipulation. Users can also enroll in eLearning and classroom training courses to get live training courses both virtually and in-person.
local_offerTickets: To submit a service request, users can access either the webform or the customer portal. To use the webform, users should input a keyword that describes the nature of their problem (for example, “how to join tables”). The query will search Tableau’s forum to see if your question is answered elsewhere and offer you the relevant page if it has been.
If you don’t find an answer to your problem, you can move to the next step and select “continue to create a case.” In the description box, fill out the required information in as much detail as possible to ensure accurate assistance. This includes the level of the issue — need information, minor, major or critical. These levels help customer service identify the priority of your problem in order to assist you in a timely manner.
For customer portal ticket requests, on the portal homepage you have a “need help” section. Click on either “product support” or “license support.” License support will prompt you to type up your question in an email, and product support will send you to a new form. First, you should type your question into the search engine. If an FAQ or forum page exists to answer it, it will pop up.
If no answer exists, you can move to the next step and select “continue to create a case.” In the description box, fill out the required information in as much detail as possible to ensure accurate assistance. This includes the level of the issue — need information, minor, major or critical. These levels help customer service identify the priority of your problem in order to assist you in a timely manner.
Cost of Ownership for Tableau
Custom version cannot be requested - rather users can do limited customizations on their own, such as:
|Data Migration Cost/Change Management/Upfront Switching Cost|
|Recurring/Renewal Costs||Renewal cost is equivalent to the fees paid annually based upon the number of users.|
Top Competitors Alternatives
These are the products most often compared to Tableau Online
Relevant articles for Tableau Online
Pricing for Business Intelligence Tools
Tableau Online Reviews
The following reviews for Tableau Online are taken from the SelectHub ReviewFeed which collects and aggregates reviews from across a variety of online review platforms such as Capterra, Software Advice, Gartner Peerinsights, PC Mag and G2 Crowd.