What is Microsoft Power BI?
It provides a cloud-based BI service which is known as "Power BI Services", also providing a desktop based interface which is known as "Power BI Desktop". It offers data warehouse capabilities such as data preparation, data discovery and interactive dashboards. It is also popular for its ability to load custom visualizations.
Benefits and Insights
Key differentiators & advantages of Microsoft Power BI
- Rich Personalized Dashboards: MS Power BI provides a unified user experience with the customized dashboards and reports that meet user’s exact needs. Also the dashboard visualizations are best in class and continually updated from the community. Interactive geo-map visualizations are empowered by Bing Maps.
- Secure Report Publishing: Set up automatic data refresh and rapidly publish reports, allowing all the users to avail the latest information.
- Integration: MS Power BI integrates seamlessly with existing applications. Adopt analytics and reporting capabilities easily to embed interactive visuals quickly in your applications.
- No Memory and Speed Constraints: Quickly retrieve and analyze your data eliminating any memory and speed constraints .
- Specialized Technical Support is not required: User can leverage the benefit of agile inquiry and analysis that Power BI offers thus eliminating the need for specialized technical support.
- MS Power BI supports advanced data services: It integrates seamlessly with advanced Cloud services like Cortana, to provide results for the verbal data queries as well.
- MS Power BI extracts Intelligence rapidly and accurately: User with the help of MS Power BI can transform enterprise data into rich visuals and accurate reports for enhanced decision-making.
- Balanced simplicity and Performance: MS Power BI’s In-memory analysis and DAX scripting language offers balanced simplicity and performance. The DAX (Data Analysis Expressions) scripting language is a relatively simple construct used to create calculated columns and measures. It's similar to Excel, although while Excel is cell based, DAX is column based.
- The Question and Answer (Q&A) function may be the top cited benefit and capability in achieving self-service BI.
- Constant innovation: The Power BI product is updated nearly every month with new features and functions.
Cost Structure for Power BI:
|License/Subscription Cost||Based on number of users for Power BI Pro and Capacity-based pricing for Power BI Premium (refer pricing section for more details)|
|Maintenance Cost||Included in the subscription cost|
|Installation/Implementation Cost||Included in the subscription cost. Additional charges may apply for data migration during implementation, maintaining on-premise data sources and building dashboards and reports|
|Customization Cost||Dependent on functional requirements and specific needs of the organization|
|Data Migration Cost/Change Management/Upfront Switching Cost||Dependent on your current software, amount of data to be migrated, availability of migration tools, complexity of data and gaps between the existing system and the new system.|
|Recurring/Renewal Costs||Renewal cost is equivalent to the fees paid monthly or annually|
|Power BI Desktop Author||
|Power BI Pro Share and Collaborate||
||$9.99 per month per user|
|Power BI Premium For large deployments||
|Deployment Options||What options are available for product deployment?||Cloud - based/SaaS|
|Pricing Model||What is the pricing model?||Subscription and Capacity-based|
|Minimum Commitment||Is there a minimum monthly or yearly commitment required for purchase?||Minimum annual commitment is required for purchase|
|Custom Quote||Is there an option of requesting custom quote?||Available|
|Free Trial||Does the vendor provide a free trial option?||Yes|
Some of the product limitations include:
- No integration available for services like Vend POS, Shopify directly
- Graphical visualization is fairly limited as compared to other BI tools
- Does not support SQL queries
- Comparatively difficult to work with huge data sets on Power BI
- Does not let users build scheduled reports, personalized user views, personalized notifications, personalized security views, or customizable reports
Tableau Server: Starting at $35 per user per month
QlikView: Starting at $1,350 per user
Oracle BI: Starting at $150 per user per month
Top Competitors Alternatives
These are the products most often compared to Microsoft Power BI